Sunday, September 25, 2011

#50statesride: The Day After


So I didn't finish all 50 states in WABA's 50 States Ride, but I had a great time. I got to 33 of the 50 states during the 'official' segment of the ride, and my ride home took me along another 7, so I figure I did pretty well. (According to my cue sheet, I covered some 44 miles during the ride itself.)



The after-party was great too, mostly because you could see how this event really does build communities. I ended up talking with two young women who exchanged invitations--they were each hosting after-after-parties--and they found out they lived just blocks from each other. A new friendship was forged--thanks to bicycles.

What was your experience? Did you overcome a challenge? Meet new people? Discover parts of DC you had only heard or read about?

And did you come up with do's and don'ts? My own personal do: train more, drink more. And by drink more I mean drink more water and electrolyte-replacing beverages. My own personal don't: Don't hesitate to bike more. As sore as parts of me are today? I always, always, feel better after a bike ride.

1 comment:

  1. First, I wish I knew what you look like so I could thank you in person for your kind words regarding my wife's accident. (She's getting better day by day.)

    Last year I did the ride for the 3rd time and swore I'd never it again. This year a bunch of people whom I met on those 3 previous rides got together for a reunion ride. I had a blast.

    Every year I meet someone new, and strong friendships are born. So, sign me up for next year!

    ReplyDelete