Saturday, January 1, 2011

Winter Weather Warriors: the Unofficial Riders

Happy New Year!

On a practically balmy New Year's Eve, I went looking for folks who say they intend to be Winter Weather Warriors--those who'd be taking part in the Capital Bikeshare program's contest to encourage riders to keep on rolling right through the region's roughest weather. From January 1st to February 28th.

So I did what every good reporter does. I went looking for users by staking out Capital Bikeshare stations, microphone at the ready. But Capital Bikeshare users are a busy lot. They don't spend their time hanging around bike stations, they take the bikes and get to where they're going. I went to three different stations...finally I headed to the one at R and 14th Streets NW. I figured it would be a likely spot. And in a way, I was right. It's well-used. Nearly all the bikes were in out. There were only 5 at the station, out of 15 docks. So I waited. And waited. And deadline looming, I shifted gears.

I decided I'd talk to any bicycle rider about how they tackle winter riding. Check WTOP.com for my web story. Tune in to WTOP 103.5 fm to hear the stories that I filed for the station. And check back to this site later, to hear the extended interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment