Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kate's 500 Update...the Winter Weather Warrior and Walk MS Mash-Up

If you've been following this blog, you know that before the New Year rolled around, I'd resolved to cover 500 miles by foot and/or by bike, by April 16th. That's the date of Walk MS 2011, the National Multiple Sclerosis fundraiser here in Washington, DC. I'll be taking part in that event. Then I'll cover another 500 by June, when Bike MS events will be held in the region. 

Then along came Capital BikeShare's Winter Weather Warrior  Contest. That's the contest that challenges Washingtonians to show certain White House occupants that Washingtonians are not winter weather wimps. 

So in the spirit of combining personal challenges --for a good cause--I've created a civic mash-up. I've decided to use that Winter Weather Warrior Contest as a mileage booster. I'm shooting for the "Perfect Attendance Category", which means I'd have to use one of those bikes every day throughout the contest. It's not about the contest, but what the contest can do to help me achieve my goal for the National MS Society. See, this way, I get the extra incentive to get out there, even on those bitter days. So I get some needed mileage in and I get to demonstrate my flinty toughness, all while raising money for the National MS Society. 

Since I started tracking my mileage, I've covered 88.6 miles. A modest start, but I'll get there. How do I know? Because I said I would here in cyberspace. And we all know cyberspace is forever. 

I'll be tweeting the mileage so you can keep track. And if you want to kick in, I've got just the place for you: my WalkMS 2011 website. Or sign up yourself, and I'll see you in April!









No comments:

Post a Comment