Tuesday, November 22, 2011

48 Years Ago Today...

...I am not old enough to remember the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, but I grew up in a house where that event was in its own way part of personal family history.



My father was an NBC correspondent at the time, and was called in to staff the network's anchor desk with Frank McGee and Chet Huntley. He was part of what in my house was known as "the Kennedy weekend". He didn't talk about it a lot, and I remember asking him to please write his own history of that day, of that weekend; if not for publication, for his kids. He never did.

It's been 14 years since my father died. When I look at this I am stunned; first because I realize once again how one of my brothers sounds eerily like my Dad, and second because the guy on the screen is at once so similar and so different from the man who raised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment