Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Need for Speed Followed by Tweed

This fall is jam-packed with bike-centric events.

On Saturday, Dandies and Quaintrelles --who encourage us all to find "Redemption through style"--will lead the D&Q River Ride,  then follow it up with the most fun you can have in a parking garage, the Diamond Derby. 

The Derby features a variety of events on the Crystal City course: a kids' race, open course with obstacles and tasks to be completed, and events that focus on speed for the sprinters among you. And for those who want to concentrate on spectating there will be food and a fashion show.

The River Ride and Derby should not be confused with the Tweed Ride, which will take place November 4th. As always, participants are encouraged to get creative and find that balance between casual style and effortless elegance.  And participants are also reminded to do the cycling community--and their mothers--proud by a) following the rules of the road and b) demonstrating their unfailing politeness.

This was among the signs held by ride marshals at last year's event. Motorists seemed to get a kick out of them. 

But wait, that's not all:

Friday night, you can get all kinds of crafty and come up with a costume for your bike for Saturday's Bike Parade, organized by DC's Bicycle Space bike shop. And then Saturday, meet at Yards Park for the 1pm event.

Sunday, you can gear up for Baltimore's Tour de Port--a ride that takes you through Charm City's neighborhoods on courses that range from 12 to 65 miles in length. 

Ok, shifting gears here:

Anyone ever have this happen? 

You head out to meet your friends and colleagues at restaurant and find--uh-oh--you left your bike lock at home? Or did you find there simply wasn''t a good place to lock your bike close to your destination? I've done both.

Last night, it was the latter: a lovely K Street restaurant had valet parking, but out on the street? There just didn't seem a good spot close to the restaurant to park my beloved Brompton. So what to do? I figured I'd see what would happen if I folded it up nicely into its tidy Brompton-y bundle and asked the woman at the front if I could check it.

I fully expected to get some raised eyebrows and braced for a "I'm afraid we can't do that." Instead I found it was no problem.  Without a moment's hesitation Britta, the woman at the hostess station took my bike with a big smile and stowed it graciously. She even marveled at how it folded up.

I'm curious--what kind of reception are you folding bike owners getting at reception desks around town when checking a fold up bike?





 

2 comments:

  1. I tried to bring my long wheel base recumbent into a hotel once. The clerk called her boss to see if it was okay. "He wants to bring a motorcycle into his room." I interrupted her and said, "I'M the motor!!!" (She let me take it in.)

    I'm doing the Tour du Port 65 mile option. It is an excellent ride for kids. My son did a 20 mile version on his single speed bike when he was about 10. He wore that t-shirt with serious pride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting what kind of reception you get depending on the setting and the 'audience'. I'll be sure to document the outcome of traveling with the bike. I know the more I saw it written about, the better I felt about giving it a try.

    How did the Tour de Port go?

    ReplyDelete