Friday, May 28, 2010

I Want To Ride My Bicycle, I Want To Ride My Bike...



"...but I don't want to get killed doing it".

That from a Montgomery County employee who said he would love to have taken part in the Bike To Work day, but couldn't figure out what he felt would be a safe route from his home near NIH up to Rockville.


City-slicker or suburban-soccer parent, lots of people say they would love to get on their bikes more, but safety is a major concern. Cities across the country are trying to make their communities more bike-friendly, and bike lanes and confidence-building cycling classes are helping bikes-as-transportation boosters gain traction. But suburban cyclists are often faced with having to navigate a world that was built for cars.

There are those who do find a way to make cycling to work possible...but how much of a hassle is it? What makes it work? Those are questions I'll be asking in future posts. But here's some evidence that some are undaunted by the vagaries of the roads around Rockville's city center.

No comments:

Post a Comment